Tuesday 2 October 2012

Ubuntu or not Ubuntu? That is the question.


So I've returned to Linux, not that I'd been away really, but now a decision had to be made, which system, and Linux came out on top. It won on a number of issues, these being security, adaptability, and not being dictated to. Now comes the question of which flavour Linux? Back to the familiar, a choice of Ubuntu, because "it just works", Fedora because it has great backing, and debian because it is one of the most stable. I am looking for something that I can set up with a minimal fuss, works with the hardware I have, and can interconnect and work with the other stuff I have, phones, tablets, cameras, audio players, a NAS and a TV. The three above should be able to do this. The hardware I have is a Lenevo Thinkpad R61 laptop with Intel everything, which makes life a little easier as Intel has fairly good support in Linux.
I first tried Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I decided on the LTS version as I didn't want it fully cutting edge with updates all the time and a virtual reinstall every 6 months. Set up was easy except for the wireless card being slow and needed some adjustment to get it up to speed, thank you Ubuntu Forums for helping. The Unity desktop took a little getting used to. I liked the way the menus moved to the top bar in a mac-esque way when moused over, but not all apps obeyed. Everything else was the normal Ubuntu experience of being pleasant and fairly efficient. Personal rating 7.5 out 10.
Next up was Fedora 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment